Wednesday, May 19, 2021

No Need To Politicize What You Choose Shepard To Be

Earlier today, over on Twitter, I stumbled across an article written by Evan Urquhart, which you can read here (https://slate.com/culture/2021/05/mass-effect-legendary-edition-ps4-xbox-pc-femshep.html) and in it he does everything possible to politicize why players should choose to play one gender of Commander Shepard over another. Yes he does make mention of Jennifer Hale's performance, but the fact that he links the majority of his reasoning to his own political views is a sign he wants to kick the hornet's nest and piss people off. 

As many of you know, over on my Twitch Channel (http://twitch.tv/fredcasden) I've played a lot of video games that have featured a female protagonist or if I'm given the choice, I'll freely choose to have the lead character be female. The way I select the genders of these characters is based on what basic details I learn about the game's story and how I would envision the character to be.

Case in point, knowing the Mass Effect has Paragon and Renegade personalty path, that leads to me figuring out how I want my version of Commander Shepard to be, and that is a kick-ass, mostly abrasive military grunt who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Based on that, I pick Shepard to be female because it falls better in line with how I picture the character to be.

So I'm not making a political statement, I'm just making a decision based on actually thinking about the game and the way I want to experience it. And I think that's how most people should make their choice, go with what your imagination tell you. If it doesn't work out, you can just restart the game and choose differently.

Granted this will be where people will point that I've only done one BroShep run on stream of Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, to which I say it's because Mark Meer doesn't have the 'voice' to carry the lead role of a video game. If you check out his credits, he's more often than not, providing the voices for NPCs and such and that his performance is not as good as Jennifer Hale's. 

Of course that's just my opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Persona 4 Golden and other notes

Tonight's stream of Persona 4 Golden saw us learn that Kanji is the next person that needs to be rescued and some things regarding his s...